Saturday, October 27, 2007

Slow Boat to China

As most of you know I have officially left for my travels. I am currently in San Diego staying with my cousin Jesse and his wife Kristen along with their cats. I was originally going to be staying with my friend Peggy in San Diego, however, due to the wild fires that are still burning in the area, she departed for LA. She will be coming back tomorrow (Sunday, 10/28/07) and hopefully I will be able to see her before I leave on Monday. Thank you Jesse and Kristen for allowing me to stay with you even at such a late notice.

My flight to San Diego went okay. I flew South West from Oakland to the San Diego Airport. The flight was supposed to be only a little over an hour long but it ended up being about 2 hours and some change due to low lying fog that was covering all of San Diego early Friday morning. We were fortunate though and were able to land safely at San Diego. At first they were going to reroute us to Las Vegas which would have put a little damper on my plans; thankfully, I did not have to deal with that. I was also lucky that my cousin, Will, was also visiting and he was able to pick me up from the airport even at such an ungodly hour. Thanks Will, I appreciate it.

It has been nice staying here visiting family. I actually do not feel like I am doing anything adventurous at all. It simply feels like I am visiting family, which of course I am. I find it hard to fathom that in only a few short hours I will be on a sailboat with 2 possibly 3 people I have never met before in my life. I hope they are nice people.

I am unsure where I will be sleeping tomorrow night. I am gong to be meeting the skipper of the sailboat tomorrow for sure, but I do not know if I am going to then stay with him or what is going to happen. The unknown is surely unnerving, and there are a lot of unknowns when it comes to my trip. I think that is why it is so stressful for me most of the time. A lot of people keep asking me if I am excited for my trip; I will be excited when I know for sure where I am going to be and what I am going to be doing. I find it difficult to be excited about the unknown possibilities that lie ahead. I am excited that I am not at work though. It makes me smile every time I think that right now I could be working.

I await the day when I wake up for work, then smile.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you're off on a good and safe start. Look forward to reading more about your adventures. Stay safe!