Thursday, October 4, 2007

Mexico?

Well, it seems that finding a sail boat that is headed directly towards the South Pacific is highly unlikely at the present time.

Apparently, right now most sail boats that reside on the West Coast are making their way down south to areas like Puerto Vallarta in Mexico. From here they can sail up and down the coast of Mexico for a few months until it is safe to make the passage across the ocean into the South Pacific.

There is a boat race that leaves San Diego on October 29th called the Baja HaHa. I am hoping to find a boat that will take me as crew in this race even though I have very little experience. Once I make my way down to Cabo San Lucas I can hopefully find a boat that is continuing on to Puerto Vallarta and from there eventually make my way into the South Pacific.

Mexico was not really on my travel itinerary from the start of my plans, but I guess it is now. I do like the idea of learning and honing my sailing skills before I head out to the Pacific though, and Puerto Vallarta could be the perfect way to do just that. This could be a great opportunity to learn a lot.

No comments: