Sunday, November 11, 2007

Volunteering and Christmas

I am currently doing all I can to find some volunteer work somewhere here in Mexico that is relatively close to where I am curretly am. I have sent out a couple emails, but have not recieved any replys as of yet. I am hoping that I will find something meaningful to commit some time and effort to. All of my previous volunteering has always turned out to be a very positive experience and I can only hope the same will happen here.

I now am staying by myself here in Cabo San Lucas. My crew mates who stayed with me the last two nights have now moved on to other things. I am paying 20 USD a night to stay at the Cabo Inn. It is much less expensive then most of the accomodations here in Cabo, but 20 a night can add up fast. I have sent out a couple of emails through the Couchsurfing service, but have not had any replys to them as of yet. There are not many people on Couchsurfing that are offering a couch here in Cabo, unfortunatly.

I feel a little bit uneasy currently due to my stagnation. I decided while on the boat of terror that I wanted to come home for Christmas to see and be with my family. I am looking forward to that, but that feels quite far into the future right now even though it will arrive very fast I think. I feel that me wanting to go home for Christmas will hurt my chances of finding some volunteer work. It seems that a good number of places want a certain time commitment from their volunteers. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will find something. If I cannot find anything volunteer wise relatively soon, I will need to come up with some kind of alternative plan. Right now that tentative plan is to head to Puerto Vallarta even though I know I am not going to be taking a sailing vesstle into the South Pacific. Although, in order to get to Puerto Vallarta that means I will probably have to crew on another sailboat...not really something I want to jump right up and do at the momment. I also do not really want to stay in Cabo San Lucas.

Cabo is quite expensive as it is frequented by tourists from all around the world. It is nice to be in a part of Mexico where many of the locals understand English though. I get stopped by guys at least twice a day trying to sell me cocaine and weed, however. Drugs are rampant through this area, in which case I feel I need to be on my guard everywhere I go in the city. I am constantly watching those people around me and keeping a very close eye on where their hands go. I hate to be judgemental of everyone around me, but I feel I need to assume that everyone I see is a potential threat to my well-being in order to stay safe; not really the greatest feeling in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we love you daniel :) be safe!