Wednesday, February 20, 2008

NYC

Right now, I am at the 5th Ave Apple Store in New York City using their free internet.  This is Apple's flagship store, and I must say, it shows if only by how many people are present in the store right now.  If I were at an Apple store at home, and had to guess what day and time it was, I would say it was 3pm on a Saturday; but it is not a Saturday, it is a Wednesday and it is 5:09pm here in NY (that's 2:09pm back home) and this place is booming.  


I was hoping to be able to come here to the Apple Store tomorrow to be able to upload all the photos I have taken so far, but alas, I asked and they would not like me doing it.  I suppose I will have to wait to be able to upload what I have taken so far, however, it will not be at the hostel I am currently staying at because their connection seems quite slow and there are too many pictures to upload.  

I am quite excited to see the pictures I took today up close.  I must have taken about 100 photos at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA).  It amazes me to see what the experts consider art.  There are some pieces that I look at and can say for sure that it took some time, energy and passion to produce the finished product.  Then there are other pieces that were created in about a minute and seem to have no meaning or purpose (that I can see) to anyone other then the artist that made it.  Why, then, would a museum choose a seemingly meaningless, simple body of work?  I am sure there must be more to the story then I am seeing; something they know that I do not.  Maybe that is the case.  Or maybe art is just so subjective that only a fraction of all the wonderful, meaningful art in the world is ever recognized and put on for display.  Perhaps what is meaningful to me is meaningless to someone else and vice versa.  I find the thought, that their are artists whose work is never enjoyed by the masses simply because they cannot make the showroom cut, most troublesome.  

No comments: